RKWard is in kdereview

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier-Dmr80ijK6QUttERQvd4Cp4QuADTiUCJX at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 10 15:53:59 BST 2018

Hi!

Thanks for your first feedback items. I'll try to respond to
everything, eventually, but I'm probably not going to be too fast.
(Albert: I'll get back to your items!)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 11:21:05 +0100
Jonathan Riddell <jr-G4ioRsM5t1Fg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> It installs two desktop files which creates duplicate menu entries
> /usr/share/applications/org.kde.rkward-open.desktop
> /usr/share/applications/org.kde.rkward.desktop

The difference here is that one reuses a running session, while the
other does not. The first is great for opening several R scripts from a
file manager, while the latter is geared at being run from the menu.

For me, this produces only a single menu entry, too, but quite likely
this is simply not the right way to do this. Any pointers?

> The .desktop files call it a "GUI for R" which is not a great
> description, everything in the menu is a GUI.  I recommend "R
> Statistical Programming" or "IDE for R" maybe.

The idea to convey is that is not targetted at programmers,
exclusively, but at people who want to get something done with R.
That's why I shy away from "IDE" and "Programming" a bit. How dows
"Graphical frontend to R" sound to you?

> I tidied up the files with the icon licence as they could easily be
> lost.

Thanks!

> It depends on WebKit which is not supported, could this be ported to
> WebEngine?

We're in a somewhat uncomfortable situation, here, as we're currently
stuck with the MinGW-API on Windows, which means no QtWebEngine for us
(see also https://marc.info/?l=kde-core-devel&m=145716183226732&w=2). I
do have several ideas to work around this, the simplest being to use
#ifdefs to use QtWebEngine on non-Windows platforms. I had started along
that track, but quickly abandoned my efforts after finding out that
Debian did not have QtWebEngine, either, then.

I guess I'll have to pick this up again.

> It's uncommon having debian/ packaging directly in the source and
> there's also debian-official/ which could get confusing and
> out-of-sync and messy.  I recommend moving them to another archive.

We also have a macports-packaging (and I just noted we still had old
Windows packaging files from before KF5; now removed). Note that these
are not included in the source releases.

> Storing the packaging in KDE neon Git would be cool as we already have
> packaging for all the rest of KDE software.  Using salsa.debian
> pkg-kde team would also make sense but would need different
> permissions.  Either way we should get this into Neon, give me a ping
> to sort that out.

I can move them to a different archive (but isn't that just as
out-of-sync, only more obviously, so?). But in fact I totally would not
mind "outsourcing" the entire debian packaging for RKWard. That's not
an area that I feel terribly competent, in.

So for all of these matters, any direction you would recommend, really.
Ping!

Regards
Thomas