Rebase of kopete branch and push it to master

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Jan 14 22:59:45 GMT 2018

El diumenge, 14 de gener de 2018, a les 21:52:29 CET, Pali Rohár va escriure:
> Hi!

Hello Mr Rohár

> From the following ticket https://phabricator.kde.org/T7642 I was
> suggested to open discussion on kde-core-devel list. Sending this email
> also to kopete-devel as it is relevant for Kopete development.
>
> Currently in Kopete git repository https://cgit.kde.org/kopete.git/ is a
> branch kf5 which contains port of Kopete to KF5. That branch was created
> 3 years ago as part of GSoC was used as "staging area". Some patches
> there are incomplete and later were "fixed & cherry-picked" into master
> branch. Therefore you can find commits with same description/commit
> message in master branch and kf5, but correct (working) one is in
> master. Later this branch was used for pushing whole work of porting.
>
> I took commits from this branch kf5 and rebased it on top of master with
> cleanup of duplicate commits and commits which are already in master
> branch. And this rebase I pushed into my cloned git repository
> https://cgit.kde.org/clones/kopete/pali/kopete.git/log/?h=master-kf5
>
> I wanted to push these master-kf5 changes into main kopete repository
> into master branch, but it was rejected by commits hook, see above T7642
> ticket.

No, we can't read private sysadmin tickets.

> Reason is that "rebase" is not supported by KDE. ltoscano and
> bcooksley suggested to discuss about it on kde-core-devel.
>
> From my side as that branch kf5 contains duplicate commits as in master
> branch and commits with same commit messages and different (old) patches
> I really do not like see these commits in master branch. It would break
> certain of git functionality (like bisect or blame, or log). And because
> it was mean as a staging area, I would really like to use that rebase
> for this time. I do not thing that there are advantage to merge this kf5
> branch as is into master and better would be rebase.
>
> Is there anything really against rebasing this one particular branch?

Yes, you have not explained why you need rebasing.

Just merge master-kf5 into master.

master as it is right now works, no? (or i hope it should, we agreed long time
ago to not break master), so just merge the "kf5 clean branch" into it and
that's it, no?

> For future (to prevent any such problem with rebasing), staging areas
> would be outside of main KDE git repository.

How would that fix anything? You will still not be able to rebase master. Or
you're saying that you want to rebase your work branches?

> But for now I would like to have finally KF5 port in master branch.
>
> I'm very disappointed by KDE as I'm periodically hitting technical
> problems with KDE infrastructure which makes maintaining of Kopete
> application just harder.

Now that you mention it, I'm very disappointed that you never answered my
answer to your email
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2017-November/010714.html

> (Problems like git push is not reflected to
> annongit servers, git push hooks are failing because of dns server
> errors and now git push failed because rebase is not supported). When I
> compare it with other servers (like Launchpad, Github or old Gitorious)
> I never hit any problem on them (yet).

I've never hit any of the problems you mention with KDE servers either.

Best Regards,
  Albert