liquidshell in kdereview

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Tue Nov 7 18:27:31 GMT 2017

On Dienstag, 7. November 2017 15:32:23 CET Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

> > > Please consider using a non-KDE logo on the start menu on representative/
> > > advertising screenshots (ideally some new liquidshell logo one, also to
> > > help promoting it and building an identity).
> > > Given the history meaning of the KDE logo as the logo of a desktop, using
> > > the KDE logo will spoil the concerted effort of the rebranding done
> > > (whether it was a good idea or not is too late to discuss) and only
> > > continue the confusion, for no good.
> > >
> > > So with the Plasma workspaces having moved to the Plasma logo, leaving the
> > > KDE logo for the community, liquidshell should have and use its own
> > > dedicated logo as well. (and yes, the start-here-kde icons would need
> > > renaming finally)
> > I'm very bad at creating appealing graphics, therefore I used exiting icons
> > where possible.
> > Is there some KDE artist who is willing to create a new logo for me ?
>
> I recommend to follow https://vdesign.kde.org/how.html and poke the VDG people
> directly with your requirement.

thanks, will do

> > Regarding the rebranding: does that mean KDE (the people behind the project)
> > does not like to promote KDE ?
> > Very confusing in my view.
> > I really meant to show "that is a KDE (based) application" by using its logo
> > - was not clear that this is not welcomed.
>
> Surely we want to promote KDE, the community :) Just, like e.g. apps like
> Okular, Dolphin, Okteta, KDevelop etc. also want to promote KDE, the
> community, they do it via the entry in the Help menu or in the About data.
> Still they have their own logo/icon for showing off e.g. "he, it's me, okular"
> and have their logo/icon displayed as identifier.
>
> The start menu icon here serves a similar purpose usually, it shows "he, its
> me, workspace product X/operating system Y". But not saying "I am done by A",
> especially when A creates different variants of the product type.
>
> And with the history of "KDE" being once the name of a workspace product,
> using its logo on the start menu like in the formerly named "KDE" product
> could trigger the uninformed people to consider liquidshell being the new
> "KDE". Adding to confusion and wasted resources in fighting those
> misconception.
> So better prevent from the start, so our time could be spent in bug fixing
> instead.

ok, understand.

> BTW, would you like assistance to have liquidshell covered on build.kde.org?
> Seems it is not there yet.

Wow - didn't know that this exists.
Is this just for testing if it compiles or are packages released from there ?

I've currently uploaded a version to build.opensuse.org which compiles currently
some openSuse versions.

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

/\                        - against proprietary attachments

Geschenkideen, Accessoires, Seifen, Kulinarisches: www.lillehus.at