liquidshell in kdereview

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Mon Nov 6 11:16:06 GMT 2017

On Monday, 6 November 2017 10:03:05 CET Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 8:31 AM, Martin Koller <kollix at aon.at> wrote:

> > weeks - liquidshell

> > > Hi Martin,
> > > I'm a bit confused, who is liquidshell for?
> >
> > Whoever does not like plasmashell, for whatever reason.
> > My reasons are mentioned in the README or the announcement mail.
> > Free software is about choice, no ?
>
> It is, of course. Then, it's also about non-fragmentation, and you know,
> human resources are spare.
> I know it's your time and your project and I will never tell you what to
> do,
> but considering that there's lxqt which  exists basically for the same
> 'whatever reasons', why not help them instead of creating yet another
> desktop shell?

So much +1.

I'm really sad to see more fragmentation in the DE space instead of finding
people investing their time helping existing projects, even more so if there's
one aiming for the same goal under the KDE umbrella.

You're free to work on whatever you like to of course, but to me this sounds
like wasted effort. Your good incentives would be better spent with joining up
with others aiming for the same (LxQt for instance).

Hate to be the party pooper here, but I'm just not sure this kind of
fragmentation helps KDE in the long-term, where we really have a hard time
finding contributors for the majority of our *existing* projects.

Regards,
Kevin