Python bindings using cppyy (was: An update on Python bindings)

Philipp A. flying-sheep at web.de
Fri Nov 3 12:52:15 GMT 2017

Hi Shaheed,

Thank you so much for all your work!

a framework-by-framework integration of the binding generation logic (as
> previously pioneered by Steve) probably cannot work in general because
> there are cases where multiple frameworks contribute to to the same C++
> namespace […]
>
> The problem is that the Python implementation of these namespaces is a
> class, and so treating these frameworks […] as separate would result in
> multiple colliding Python class definitions.

Am I missing something? Namespaces should be Python modules, not classes.
If we can do represent them this way, the problem is solveable:
https://packaging.python.org/guides/packaging-namespace-packages/

The original TODOs and bugs have been resolved, and there is the beginnings
> of support for packaging frameworks under a Python namespace as in
> "KF5.KDCRAW".

Once they’re modules, we should probably respect that Python modules are by
convention lowercase. It would be best if we named them kf5.kdcraw and so
on.

Thank you again,
Best, Philipp