Application usage statistics and targeted user surveys

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Jun 12 00:56:21 BST 2017

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6 June 2017 15:01:57 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:

>> > There's still two aspects missing in the integration:
>> > - configure Provider to actually submit (see productIdentifier,
>> > feedbackServer and submissionInterval properties)
>> > - probably add some data sources (in the current form you only get an
>> > indication on how many users you have, and untargeted surveys, nothing
>> > more)
>> >
>> > The second point will need some more QML wrapper API. I'll look into
>> > adding a QML plugin to KUserFeedback directly for this.

>> > INSTALL contains the deployment documentation, both for the full setup
>> > with
>> > authentication on an Apache server, and locally for unsecured testing
>> > using
>> > the built-in PHP server.
>> >
>> > I've also got a playground server on my own infrastructure now that I can
>> > provide accounts for. And Jan has published his ongoing work on creating a
>> > Docker image for the server here:
>> > https://github.com/KDAB/kuserfeedbackdocker
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Volker
>>
>> Hi Volker,
>> More noob feedback:
>> I set up a local system I could tinkle with using your colleague's
>> docker. Worked quite well. But, I was getting an issue, possibly fixed
>> by this patch:
>> https://phabricator.kde.org/D6117
>
> This looks good, I'll try to get that path unit-tested to make sure this works
> with sqlite too. However, you should not actually hit this path in the first
> place, which is probably also why you are not seeing any data.
>
>> Now I get to see things being sent on the UserFeedbackConsole
>> application, but I only see timestamps. I added debug information to
>> see what is being sent and (after updating the discover patch above)
>> and I see all sort of data, being delivered. Is it being lost in the
>> internets? Or am I not looking into it correctly? If I export the
>> product using UserFeedbackConsole I also only get timestamps :(.
>
> Do you see the empty columns for the other data in UserFeedbackConsole, or do
> you only see the Timestamp column? In the former case the data is either not
> transmitted, or rejected by the server for some reason, we'd need to look at
> the JSON payload sent to the server in that case. In the other case, you
> probably need to set up a product schema first with UserFeedbackConsole
> (easiest via Schema -> Source Templates in the Schema view).

Here's what I'm seeing: https://imgur.com/a/BmH2B
I've seen the schema view, I haven't pushed it much. I see I can add
stuff but I'm not sure what it's for. I expected the system to
integrate all data offered, but maybe I need to set the expectations
on the server side?
Either way, this is the information being sent at the moment (I copied
your orwell.qml example sources so far).
{
    "applicationVersion": { "value": "5.10.90" },
    "compiler": { "type": "Clang", "version": "4.0" },
    "platform": { "os": "linux", "version": "arch-unknown" },
    "qtVersion": { "value": "5.9.0" },
    "startCount": { "value": 76 },
    "usageTime": { "value": 34132 }
}

> I'll also try your Discover patches here to see if I can reproduce this, the
> QML bindings haven't gotten any real use yet, quite possible some stuff
> doesn't work there correctly yet.

I'll update the patch to adapt to changes in kuserfeedback.

Aleix