Application usage statistics and targeted user surveys

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sat Jun 10 09:22:50 BST 2017

On Tuesday, 6 June 2017 15:01:57 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 17:38:22 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:
> >> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> >> Hey Volker, I figured out this one. Never mind.
> >>
> >> I've done a proof of concept integrating it in Discover, here's 2
> >> patches:
> >> https://phabricator.kde.org/D5960
> >> https://phabricator.kde.org/D5961
> >
> > There's still two aspects missing in the integration:
> > - configure Provider to actually submit (see productIdentifier,
> > feedbackServer and submissionInterval properties)
> > - probably add some data sources (in the current form you only get an
> > indication on how many users you have, and untargeted surveys, nothing
> > more)
> >
> > The second point will need some more QML wrapper API. I'll look into
> > adding a QML plugin to KUserFeedback directly for this.
> >
> >> Now to proceed I'd like to give a try to whole system including the
> >> server. Do you have documented how to set it up anywhere? Would make
> >> it easier.
> >
> > INSTALL contains the deployment documentation, both for the full setup
> > with
> > authentication on an Apache server, and locally for unsecured testing
> > using
> > the built-in PHP server.
> >
> > I've also got a playground server on my own infrastructure now that I can
> > provide accounts for. And Jan has published his ongoing work on creating a
> > Docker image for the server here:
> > https://github.com/KDAB/kuserfeedbackdocker
> >
> > Regards,
> > Volker
>
> Hi Volker,
> More noob feedback:
> I set up a local system I could tinkle with using your colleague's
> docker. Worked quite well. But, I was getting an issue, possibly fixed
> by this patch:
> https://phabricator.kde.org/D6117

This looks good, I'll try to get that path unit-tested to make sure this works
with sqlite too. However, you should not actually hit this path in the first
place, which is probably also why you are not seeing any data.

> Now I get to see things being sent on the UserFeedbackConsole
> application, but I only see timestamps. I added debug information to
> see what is being sent and (after updating the discover patch above)
> and I see all sort of data, being delivered. Is it being lost in the
> internets? Or am I not looking into it correctly? If I export the
> product using UserFeedbackConsole I also only get timestamps :(.

Do you see the empty columns for the other data in UserFeedbackConsole, or do
you only see the Timestamp column? In the former case the data is either not
transmitted, or rejected by the server for some reason, we'd need to look at
the JSON payload sent to the server in that case. In the other case, you
probably need to set up a product schema first with UserFeedbackConsole
(easiest via Schema -> Source Templates in the Schema view).

I'll also try your Discover patches here to see if I can reproduce this, the
QML bindings haven't gotten any real use yet, quite possible some stuff
doesn't work there correctly yet.

Regards,
Volker