Distro integration for Plasma Browser Integration (was: Re: Plasma Browser Integration is in kdereview

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 16:27:21 BST 2017

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Martin Steigerwald <martin at lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> Hello David.
>
> Thanks for your effort on plasma browser integration.
>

> What options are possible to distribute extensions via distro packaging?
>
> I ask cause I think at least for chrome / chromium you need a Google account
> to use the plugin / extension store. Also it would put the extension outside
> of distro security support. Therefore I mostly use xul-ext packages in Debian
> as extensions for Firefox and also a new uBlock origin extension package for
> chromium.
>
> Eventually this would need to be brought up with browser developers. I am
> willing to help there by creating wishlist item / bug report.

In Fedora, we have actually packaged an extension for Chrome[1], so it
is possible to package Chrome extensions and have them work with
Chromium / Chrome.

If they are locally installed, Chrome will activate them, and if they
require special permissions, the user will be prompted to grant them.

[1]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/fedora-user-agent-chrome.git/tree/fedora-user-agent-chrome.spec