CI Requirements - Lessons Not Learnt?

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Mon Jan 16 00:54:06 GMT 2017

Having been paid to maintain a system that was a maze of #ifdef I
disagree with your statement that a professional should have no problem
with adding them. Sometimes a professional will add them, but not if
there is another choice. Every ifdef adds to the cost of maintenance,
and that is a very unprofessional thing to do to your company.

Professional compiler writers tell us that the preprocessor is the
hardest part of supporting c++. Ide writers tell us that it is because
of the preprocessor they do not give us nearly as many tools for
refactoring as java has. The preprocessor is also why you find bugs in
the refactoring tools we get.

Most of the work in KWin these days is Wayland. It is perfectly
reasonable for Martin to say that you must have the latest for Wayland,
it is a bleeding edge feature, distributions should not ship it without
a willingness to update as bugs in core components are fixed.  If they
don't like this, running KWin LTS on old fashioned X is what we should
point them to.

This doesn't solve the ci problem that sparked this discussion, but your
proposal actually makes it worse. You are indirectly asking the ci
system to provide and build KDE with the old and the new xcbcommon. (not
just KWin, all of KDE needs to be tested in both configurations!)
--
  Henry Miller
  hank at millerfarm.com