CI Requirements - Lessons Not Learnt?

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Mon Jan 16 08:39:26 GMT 2017

On 01/16/2017 06:58 AM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> - OTOH, if you are maintaining kwin fulltime as paid job, I consider it
> reasonable to expect that the maintainer is able to maintain necessary
> #ifdefs, or apply pragmatic solutions, just to solve the problem for his
> users... but that is not realistic to expect if the maintainer is quite
> stressed out and all alone with this work.

The maintainer's job is to ensure the continued health of the project,
which includes making sure it can move forward instead of getting
bogged down in supporting legacy stacks and a multitude of compilation
paths. It's entirely within the maintainer's (and by extension team's)
purview not to want to run their project that way, and it doesn't need
to be overworked or stressed out to do that.

There's always going to be a range of opinions on what window of
support for legacy dependencies is appropriate or not. Partly because
different windows make sense for different projects, different teams
and different stacks. It makes sense to trust maintainers/teams to have
the necessary experience and knowledge to make those calls, instead of
trying to codify a KDE-wide dependency policy here. Changes like this
increase the barrier to participation in KDE (more rules to abide by,
in this case, concretely more work to do that not all teams can
equally afford to do).

Cheers,
Eike