CI Requirements - Lessons Not Learnt?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Jan 13 21:36:04 GMT 2017

On 2017 M01 12, Thu 04:00:34 CET Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Email threads don't work to codify such requirements. What we need is
> > something like an "announce new dependency to sysadmin freeze" prior to
> > the dependency freeze in the release schedule. That's what I mean with
> > codifying it. We need to have it in a way where devs actually check.
> > It needs to be part of the process. An old email thread cannot be part
> > of the process.
>
> IMHO, the rule should be: If you need a version of a system-level dependency
> (such as xkbcommon – things that you can't just expect the KDE packagers to
> upgrade willy nilly) that is not available (as an official stable update)
> in the OLDEST supported releases of common distributions, you MUST #ifdef
> it.

As far as is know there is no such list of "supported releases of common
distributions".
If the rule is that it is Ok to require new versions of libs, because future
distro releases will have it, this list would basically be empty.
Not speaking specifically about kwin, but any packages in general: IMO
contributing to some package is much easier if it is possible to download the
package/sources and build it , without having to install newer versions of
already existing libraries, especially "system" libraries, which may conflict
with the packaging system of the distro.

Again, a pragmatic solution (beside #ifdefs) for some cases would be to
include a copy of the library in question and link it statically (when enabled
explictely) if the one found on the system is not good enough.

Alex