liquidshell in kdereview

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Dec 2 12:26:18 GMT 2017

Am 2017-12-02 10:17, schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> El dijous, 30 de novembre de 2017, a les 19:57:45 CET, Martin Flöser va
> escriure:

>> > since more than 3 weeks have passed, I hopefully have addressed all
>> > issues and I got no further comments,
>> > are there any blocking points you see or can I proceed requesting the
>> > move to extragear ?
>>
>> Yes I still see several blocking items. E.g.
>> "liquidshell is an alternative to plasmashell"
>>
>> I think that should be removed. I do not want any competing or
>> alternative to plasmashell provided by KDE. This would be very bad for
>> our community. Please formulate the readme without mentioning Plasma.
>> I'm sure you are able to find unique selling points without going into
>> any part of competition with Plasma or in any part which could be
>> misunderstood.
>>
>> What I do not want is Phoronix: "KDE starts new desktop shell because
>> Plasma sucks". Please formulate everything so that it cannot be
>> misunderstood.
>>
>> Also remove all the parts about the main motivation without "hog cpu
>> or
>> ram". We already discussed that this was a problem with your local and
>> personal setup. Don't piss on Plasma because your setup has problems.
>> You have all the rights to scratch your own itch, but don't piss on
>> us.
>>
>> Personally I'm against liquidshell getting added to extragear. I think
>> this would be harming the KDE community to have a shared desktop
>> shell.
>> We have already too much fragmentation on the desktop area and I don't
>> think KDE should support this by creating yet another desktop shell.
>> We
>> should think here in the big picture.
>
> So you'd rather prefer he did this in github?

I did't write that and I'm surprised you come to that conclusion.

> I mean yes, ideally everyone would work on whathever i want them to
> work on,
> but since this won't happen, can we try to make KDE a nice and
> welcoming place
> to challenge eachother ideas and implementations?
>
> I'm sure a little friendly (and yes this goes both ways in the
> meanthing that
> liquidshell should not piss on plasmashell) competition never hurt
> anyone :)

Such competition exists - especially on the desktop shell area,
especially on the QtQuick vs. QtWidgets area.

There currently are the following Qt based desktop shells:
  * Plasma (QtQuick)
  * LxQt (QtWidgets)
  * Lumina (QtWidgets)
  * Hawaii (QtQuick AFAIK)

In addition there is competition in the GTK world:
  * GNOME Shell
  * Pantheon
  * Xfce
  * Budgie
  * Cinnamon

And there are even further desktop environments on even other toolkits
such as E.

If there are things we need, it's yet another desktop environment. There
is already sufficient external competition, so that we don't need
internal competition.

As I already said: Martin is free to do in his spare time whatever he
wants. If he thinks we need another desktop shell, fine. He can do so.
Whether we as KDE should endorse and support this is another question.

I think for the overall Linux world yet another desktop shell is
harming. You can have another opinion and that and that's also fine. I
only shared my opinion stating that I consider this as harming and that
we as KDE should IMHO not support this.

Btw. I would see this completely different if for example LxQt would
approach KDE and ask for joining. I would support this and would be
happy to see them becoming a part of KDE.

Also I think the project should not be added as the whole thing is
hypocrite. According to the readme Martin has a problem with QtQuick.
Fair enough, but why is he fine with the following areas being in
QtQuick:
  * KWin (e.g. Alt+Tab)
  * Lockscreen
  * logout screen
  * Systemsettings
  * many more components

If QtQuick would be a problem, Martin would have to replace everything
and not just Plasmashell. I cannot help it, but I personally have a
feeling that Martin did not properly understand where his problems with
his system are. This means the motivation and argumentation is just
wrong. I don't think we as KDE should support an ill taken path. We are
a community which is proud about our technical abilities, always trying
to be in the first front for new technologies. Do we really want to take
in products which are motivated on technical misunderstandings?

Cheers
Martin Flöser