KMarkdownWebView (kpart) in KDE Review

Elvis Angelaccio elvis.angelaccio at kde.org
Tue Aug 22 10:31:00 BST 2017

On martedì 22 agosto 2017 00:18:19 CEST, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> KMarkdownWebView today entered KDE Review. This repo contains a kpart for
> rendered display of Markdown files, using web technologies (webpage with
> JavaScript library which creates HTML from the plaintext handed in).
>
> I consider it rather a hack and would favour something done natively in Qt
> (e.g. like the Markdown Okular generator in https://phabricator.kde.org/
> D7382). But for now it serves the use-case of providing a webpage-like
> rendered display of markdown documents. Especially for the live preview
> plugin for Kate & KDevelop currently worked on*.
>
> * https://frinring.wordpress.com/2017/08/21/look-what-you-have-donewwdo
>
> See also https://cgit.kde.org/kmarkdownwebview.git/about/
>
> The separate library libKMarkdownWebView is done for sharing code with a
> thumbnailer plugin, whose code yet is to be committed to this repo, as it
> resists to work right now.
>
> Initial build on CI looks good:
> https://build.kde.org/job/Extragear%20kmarkdownwebview%20kf5-qt5%20SUSEQt5.9/
> https://build.kde.org/job/Extragear%20kmarkdownwebview%20kf5-qt5%20FreeBSDQt5.7/
>
> And people on #kde-devel & #kdevelop also reported successful builds and
> usage.
>

> Target would be extragear/$SOMETHING, with $SOMETHING possibly "utils".
>
> Initial release planned right after leaving kdereview.
>
> Question: is there any appstream metadata possible for plugins?

Yes, have a look at kio-gdrive or kio-stash as example.

>From a quick look, everything works fine.

One minor issue I spotted: if I preview a markdown file in some archive,
the ark preview window has a menu named "No text" instead of "Edit" (with
the "Select All" action). This could be fixed by adding the
<text>&Edit</text> element in kmarkdownwebviewpartui.rc (not sure if
there is another fix).

> Cheers
> Friedrich

Cheers,