KDE file dialog

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Mar 6 10:34:32 GMT 2016

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 1:48:13 AM CET Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > No, because everything in the current plugin is Plasma specific. If we
> > want to change the font, we will do so!
>
> Forcing a default font as you have done is a bad idea even on Plasma. It is
> not the desktop environment's business to pick a default font. (And yes, I
> know GNOME does it too, with a much worse font (really poor glyph coverage).
> That's not a reason to do the same.) Distributions set up distribution-wide
> "Sans", "Serif" and "Monospace" aliases for a reason. The fonts are
> carefully selected by the distribution based on a variety of criteria,
> including glyph coverage (OK, Noto is great there; your previous default
> Oxygen was not, though!), quality, looks, etc. And most importantly, the
> distro-wide aliases ensure consistency across applications using different
> toolkits. Desktops deciding they know better break this.

I don't know how often we have heard over the last decade that Plasma's look
and feel is terribly because of fonts. We addressed that point and selected a
good default font. Now that's not correct either. People make up your mind:
either you do your job and use good default fonts or you don't complain that
we select the font for you. You cannot have both.

Cheers
Martin