KDE file dialog

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 10:56:54 GMT 2016

On Mittwoch, 2. März 2016 11:19:42 CEST, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 11:08:30 AM CET Mark Gaiser wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Martin Graesslin
>> <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote: ...
>
> What is that "kf5" plugin you talk of?

The origin of this thread was that the default Qt file dialog sucks, so there's desire for the KIO KFileWidget (but kio is already tier3 ??)

The KDE QPA plugin however has some trouble on non-plasma environment (apparently notably on the Systray/SNI part), so it cannot be used outside plasmashell.

I *assume* that the core problem is that the plasma QPA isn't sufficiently robust, eg. if the SNI daemon doesn't come up (I once had it crashing here what drove me into the mentioned FD exception through mindless dbus calls - not funny) it should probably give up and resort to letting through the unhooked FDO systray.

Imo that's a more issue: IPC is I/O, ie. unreliable. You cannot provide functionality that relies on working IPC, but hard-relying on it is bad design (nb. that the failing kded module make _every_ Qt client using QSystemTray unusable and trying to knock out your system)

=> fix the QPA to handle I/O (dbus etc.) more robust and everyone's happy?

Cheers,
Thomas

---

If anyone would like to discuss whether pushing SNI or which systray protocol should be used or is better: Spare yor time.
I firmly believe that the systray is a completely braindead concept, no matter how it's done. You wanted to go for a backend/frontend implementation itfp.