KDE file dialog

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Wed Mar 2 10:46:01 GMT 2016

Hey,

On 03/02/2016 11:19 AM, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> No, because everything in the current plugin is Plasma specific.
Meh. In some kind of theoretical view you are right, I do see that.
Pragmatically, that's just not true, most of the things in the plugin
are not plasma specific at all, for example: colour schemes, Qt style,
icons theme, single/double click, file dialogs. All this is exactly as
useful in plasma as it is in any other environment, and applies to the
exact same set of applications. In fact the only plasma-specifc thing I
know about is KSNI.

> Apparently nobody is interested in writing and maintaining
> a qpt-plugin for non-plasma.
There is one, qt5ct, but if you want to make that as useful as the
plasma one, you need to reimplement half of systemsettings5 for no real
reason.

> We doing the work don't care about openbox or whatever.
I find that a little surprising. I thought we were building a set of
applications that aim to work well in any environment. Right now, kate
looks and works _much_ better on Windows than if you start it with the
default settings in openbox (you don't even have icons on openbox!). As
a developer of kate and as a person doing "the work" there I find that a
bit frustrating.

Yes, there could be a dedicated platform theme for that, but there's
only one sensible thing it can do right in almost all cases, which is
"the same as the plasma one".

Greetings,
Sven