web server for appstream metadata screenshots

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jun 16 14:24:41 BST 2016

On dinsdag 14 juni 2016 01:03:39 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dimarts, 14 de juny de 2016, a les 0:54:06 CEST, Matthias Klumpp va
>
> escriure:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > You can not have all of these three:
> > >  * Free commit to screenshots used by appstream
> >
> > Create a Git/$whatever repository just for screenshots somewhere, and
> > make its contents available on the web, e.g. via static.kde.org /
> > screenshots.kde.org, etc.
> >
> > >  * Shared screenshots between www and appstream
> >
> > Have www embed screenshots from the xyz.kde.org server, instead of
> > keeping them with the other www-related files in SVN. This also allows
> > www to migrate to Git more easily, unless there are other large files
> > stored in there.
>
> You realize this breaks the "protected contents in www" if everyone can
> upload  files to xyz.kde.org and they magically show up in www, right?

Different screenshots for website and appstream.

That said, i really don't mind developers being able to update screenshots.
They shouldn't be able to put new text on the website, or screw with the
scripts, but simply putting screenshots somewhere to be picked up is not a
problem in my books. (And yes, I realize that I can write "Free Tibet!" on a
screenshot and upload that.)

We're responsible people. The problem is not irresponsibility, it's that our
websites don't get updated often and that our app metadata isn't very
complete.
--
sebas

http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org