web server for appstream metadata screenshots

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Wed Jun 8 21:04:03 BST 2016

> Am Mittwoch, 8. Juni 2016, 12:45:13 CEST schrieb Nicolás Alvarez:
>> > [...]
>> > Not sure though what a stable url would be like, given people planning to
>> > rework kde.org (and thus those app catalog pages), so perhaps relying on
>> > the current screenshot urls used by kde.org/applications is not perfect.
>> The screenshots on kde.org/applications are stored in SVN and they are
>> the main reason why I couldn't migrate that website to Git. I would
>> prefer if you don't add even more there...
>
> www/sites/www/screenshots (svn) has 176 pngs
>
> websites/edu-kde-org/ (git) has 1287 pngs
>
> master kf5 / doc[s] (git) folders have  2079 pngs
>
> master kde4 / doc[s] (git) folders have 1702 pngs
>
> I do not understand why the 176 pngs in www/sites/www/screenshots are a
> problem for migration to git

IMHO these screenshots should be separated out into a different Git
repository, and the original website should link to them. Reason is
that that way, application maintainers in KDE can easily update their
screenshots, without needing to write to the website repo. Also,
separating these media files out just seems sane design to me.

In terms of "binary files in Git are a bad idea", separating the media
out would allow the website to migrate to Git, and the media files
could be maintained with for example Git-Annex[1]. Git-Annex is an
awesome tool, which would likely fit our needs here while having a
flat learning courve.

Cheers,
    Matthias

[1]: https://git-annex.branchable.com/