[kde-community] Phabricator - critical terminology

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Jan 21 09:53:19 GMT 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 10:41 PM, Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen
<admin at leinir.dk> wrote:
> Hi Ben,

Hi Dan,

>   i fairly expect given the timing of this email, that while i may not be the
> only one to have confused terminology and the like, i am likely the catalyst
> for your sending this email.

Not at all, i've been planning to write such a mail for a long time.

>   Having no wish to assign blame on this topic either way (or, perhaps,
> wishing to take a large amount of it due to laziness on my part), i should
> explain why i sent the particular request i did: The sysadmin ticket system
> landing page.

I agree that page is quite confusing.

>   I had the desire to move my project peruse from its current location on
> github to the kde infrastructure, and knowing this should be done with a
> sysadmin request, i went to make one such. On the ticket creation page, i saw
> two options which seemed likely for this. One which in friendly fashion said
> "Use this department to request a new git repository", and one which said,
> simply "Phabricator".
>   While i now suspect i should have used the latter option, given the nice,
> straight forward description you give in your email, what was available on the
> ticket creation page led me to assume that to move a git repository to KDE's
> infrastructure, i would need to use the git repository request option.

The Git repository request option is quite correct in this instance -
the Phabricator project was a secondary thing to your request in this
case.

>   Might i perhaps be so bold as to suggest adding a version of what you write
> here to the ticket creation page? Because the way you describe it here makes
> it very nice and clear, but i had not seen this description before, and that
> makes me, personally, just a little sad - i honestly try to not be stupid when
> taking on tasks like this ;)

Not a problem. At the moment all Phabricator requests should go to the
Phabricator category as it has yet to takeover as the primary,
official code review and hosting tool (being the tool in waiting as it
were). I don't mind if they're bundled in amongst other requests
though.

In the long term we do need to write some documentation regarding how
we are going to use Phabricator, etc - so the above text should
probably go as part of that.

Thanks,
Ben