[kde-community] Phabricator - critical terminology

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Thu Jan 21 09:41:43 GMT 2016

Hi Ben,

  i fairly expect given the timing of this email, that while i may not be the
only one to have confused terminology and the like, i am likely the catalyst
for your sending this email.

  Having no wish to assign blame on this topic either way (or, perhaps,
wishing to take a large amount of it due to laziness on my part), i should
explain why i sent the particular request i did: The sysadmin ticket system
landing page.
  I had the desire to move my project peruse from its current location on
github to the kde infrastructure, and knowing this should be done with a
sysadmin request, i went to make one such. On the ticket creation page, i saw
two options which seemed likely for this. One which in friendly fashion said
"Use this department to request a new git repository", and one which said,
simply "Phabricator".
  While i now suspect i should have used the latter option, given the nice,
straight forward description you give in your email, what was available on the
ticket creation page led me to assume that to move a git repository to KDE's
infrastructure, i would need to use the git repository request option.
  Might i perhaps be so bold as to suggest adding a version of what you write
here to the ticket creation page? Because the way you describe it here makes
it very nice and clear, but i had not seen this description before, and that
makes me, personally, just a little sad - i honestly try to not be stupid when
taking on tasks like this ;)

On Thursday 21 January 2016 21:05:35 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> In the Phabricator requests sysadmin is getting, as well as the
> conversation on IRC i'm noticing a disturbing trend where people are
> not aware of the critical distinction between Projects and
> Repositories and are using the terms interchangably.
>
> These two are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT concepts in Phabricator, so it is
> critical everyone distinguishes between what they are.
>
> Repositories are containers of source code, run using a VCS (Git,
> Subversion, Mercurial, etc). They are browsed at
> https://phabricator.kde.org/diffusion/
>
> Projects are relational structures, which can have tasks, repositories
> and many other objects associated with them. They are used for
> organisation and grouping. They are browsed at
> https://phabricator.kde.org/projects/. They do NOT offer any access to
> repositories in and of themselves - that is done through Repositories.
>
> Tasks, Repositories, etc can all be associated with multiple projects
> as needed, and projects can have multiple Tasks, Repositories, etc.
> Effectively a Many to Many relationship.
>
> This is particularly important for Sysadmin requests for these
> entities (entities which have many, many repositories may only
> actually need one project to organise their tasks for instance).
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

..dan / leinir..
http://leinir.dk/