KDE file dialog

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Mon Feb 29 23:44:05 GMT 2016

On 02/29/2016 11:09 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> So using QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=kde is basically not a viable solution for
>> > any non-plasma desktop out there. Instead you are stuck with a 3rd party
>> > solution like qt5ct to at least set the Qt / icon theme (color scheme is
>> > quite hard already), and there is basically no viable option to get e.g.
>> > KDE file dialogs back (instead of the unusable Qt5 default ones).
> If you're not in the Plasma desktop, you should get the dialogs from the
> desktop you're in. For example, if you're in GNOME, the GTK style plugin
> should get the GTK dialogs.

But that assumes the desktop you're in actually provides this
functionality. And I think basically all desktops but Plasma and GNOME
don't do that (mine certainly doesn't, it doesn't even _have_ its own
file dialog). In this case the default is quite bad (the Qt5 file dialog
is, sorry to say, terrible) and the chances to change it are hard to
reach or not available. I don't think that is a great situation.

I guess the problem here is that some Look&Feel decisions require a
specific desktop (e.g. KSNI) while others don't, but they are grouped
into the same module. Probably this doesn't affect enough people to be
of interest to anyone, though.

Greetings,
Sven