Spectacle moved to KDE Graphics, future of KSnapshot?

Boudhayan Gupta bgupta at kde.org
Thu Sep 24 15:08:01 BST 2015

On 24 September 2015 at 16:24, Elias Probst <mail at eliasprobst.eu> wrote:
>>3. KHotkeys. Once Spectacle is included into Applications 15.12, I'll
>>patch KHotkeys to look for Spectacle rather than KSnapshot.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to have khotkeys launch whatever application implements a generic DBus interface like org.freedesktop.screenshot through DBus activation?
>
> So khotkeys would work in a generic way and it wouldn't matter whether the WM, a GNOME application, ksnapshot or spectacle is installed/available to handle screenshot taking.

This does make more sense, but wouldn't an interface under the
org.freedesktop namespace need to be vetted by Freedesktop?

If someone can take it up with Freedesktop I think this would be a
great idea. In fact for Wayland systems, this interface can be
implemented by the compositor which can then launch a privileged
application to handle the UI flow.

-- Boudhayan