SIC/BIC in Frameworks

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Sep 13 12:43:19 BST 2015

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 11:07 PM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you may have seen a series of Frameworks have recently failed to
> build on the CI system.
> This appears to be due to either binary incompatibility, or changes in
> the build system which have changed the visibility of symbols in
> linked libraries.
>
> In any event, these changes have introduced source / binary
> incompatibility and need to be corrected.
>
> Can someone please investigate these? They all appear to be centered
> around KWindowSystem, so I would suggest starting there. In
> particular, the NETWinInfo class seems to be responsible for all the
> failures. It would be appreciated if this could be expedited as it is
> affecting the builds of applications on the CI system as well as
> frameworks upstream of KWindowSystem.

I've done some more investigation. It seems that the build directories
for variations on the CI system are shared and they aren't cleared in
between builds (which itself seems to be a regression - shouldn't this
be done Scarlett?). At some point the NoX11 and All builds of
KWindowSystem started being run by the same build node - and in turns
out CMake doesn't handle the re-enabling of X11 support too well - so
we end up with a version with no XCB support (and thus no netwm.h)
installed on the system.

This then causes KNotification to fail to build (as it depends on
netwm.h) which then leads to the rest of the failures we see. This
itself is probably a bug?

Scarlett, are there any recent changes to your code which would have
caused the directories to no longer be cleared?

> Thanks,
> Ben

Regards,
Ben