KScreenGenie moved to KDE Review

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 23:14:10 BST 2015

Did a functional test only.

a) The button role assignment seems wrong (you tried to arrange buttons in a certain order that suits either the KDE or windows order? They end up totally weird other orders eg. GTK or OSX)

b) Buttons
   1. While I like the "Save & Exit" idea, it leaves uncertainity about what happens. Eg. there could be a tooltip that says *where* the file is saved. Bonus points for allowing to set a pattern (location + filename)
   2. There're two "Save" buttons, "Save As..." could maybe be moved into a popup of "Save & Exit" (which could also access a dialog to set the quicksave pattern)
   3. There's no way for direct mass shooting (ie. "Save & Exit" minus "Exit") - some sort of "Set filename pattern for this session" feature ("Set pattern..." vs. "Set default pattern..."?) could turn "Save & Exit" into "Save"
   4. No idea whether I miss some plugin, but "Send to..." is "Open with..." here (+copy to clipboard)
   5. "Discard" should turn "Exit" after the file is saved in any way (but not to clipboard, w/o klipper the file would be lost) since the image isn't discared at all.
   6. There's a "Print..." button but no "Copy to clipboard" button... ;-)
      I don't yet know how to finally resolve this, but printing is rare and copy to clipboard is ... less rare, but it does not fit into "Send to", esp. not if that's actually "Open with"

c) I agree with Hugo that "Active window" is totally weird. It captures the window that kwin passes the focus after kscreengenie closed, what depends on two kwin settings.... (if the WM is KWin)
   The difference to ksnapshot is however not the behavior, but that ksnapshot doesn't have that feature in the GUI at all (since it doesn't make any sense - the active window is kscreengenie at the time of usage) - ksnapshot allows to capture the "Window under the mouse" which is actually "pick window" - kscreengenie even clicks the window KWin will automagically activate if using "On Click" what is totally confusing. At least in this mode, kscreengenie should definitively shoot the picked window, not the active one. In doubt by activating it before.

d) "Capture Area | Active Window" - *cough* ;-)
   My suggestion would be to label the combobox "Mode" reverse the "On click" checkbox and label it "Delay" (omitting the extra label)

e) Technically "Capture Mode" and "Capture Options" are capture options - "Capture Options" are actually "Content Options" and delay/onclick are "Trigger options", though I don't know whether there needs to be a horizontal structure at all since

f) because of the flat grouboxes (?) and the splitter of the buttongroup, the "Take New Screenshot" buttons looks like it belongs to the "Capture Options".
Maybe combine all options, put a splitter below and the "Take New Screenshot" button below that? (So it's visually isolated between options and buttonbox)

g) pressing "Escape" should abort the screenshot.

h) It's not like I could find it, but afair the rule is "Take new screenshot", not "Take New Screenshot" - at least in labels.

i) A feature that kscreengenie imo lacks (like ksnapshot does) is some basic annotation features (ellipsis, arrow, labelbox) - I'd volunteer to write a patch for that ;-)

j) > I've found use in setting half-second delays many times.
While I actually cannot think of a reason for this precision, the single step width should then be 0.5 seconds - otherwise it's nasty to change the value with the mouse wheel or the spinbox buttons.

Cheers,
Thomas

PS:
+1 for keeping "ksnapshot" - it's familiar and simpler to vocalize. But ultimately I don't care =)