Frameworks compiler and Qt requirements after Qt 5.7?

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 21:51:53 BST 2015

Hi everyone,

> Thus I think the question about compiler requirement and Qt requirement are
> not coupled. Just because we raise the one or the other doesn't mean we should
> raise both.

Correct. Consider the following workflow: the user installs the latest
Qt 5.7 from binary packages and builds the latest KF5 from Git. He
will only need gcc-4.5. But if we bumped KF5 requirements to gcc-4.7,
then the user would need to update gcc for no good reason.

Mark,
In my opinion you had to start this kind of discussion with
emphasizing the new features in Qt 5.{6,7} and in new versions of
compilers that would help us make KF5 better. For me this is still
unclear.

--
Alexander Potashev