KDE Applications Versioning

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Tue Jun 9 11:12:09 BST 2015

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 11:35 AM, David Jarvie <djarvie at kde.org> wrote:
>

> > There has been debate about this for frameworks, and there is an argument
> > there (not agreed by everybody) for making all frameworks have the same
> > version, since framework libraries are dependencies for other software.
> >
> > The same arguments don't apply to applications, which in general are not
> > dependencies. Other than convenience for maintainers who forget to update
> > version numbers, I can see no good reason for forcing applications to have
> > a uniform version number. I prefer using the version number to reflect the
> > development status of the application (by use of major, minor and patch
> > version numbers), as in the past. This makes it easier when dealing with
> > bug reports, to know the state of the program at the version in question.
> > For maintainers who want to use some other scheme, that's also fine. The
> > important thing is to leave the choice.
> >

> Personally I prefer having the application versions matching the release
> version
> (ie. 15.04.x) so that there is no additional versions mapping required ("is
> version 3.4
> part of KDE Applications 15.04 or 15.08 or..?").
>
> So I for one would also welcome such feature, but can absolutely relate to
> David's
> position too; the versioning should not be forced on Applications. So this
> could be
> easily made opt-in by using some predefined CMake variable and projects
> having
> such var would get the version raised by the scripts.
>
> +1 to that idea.
Hi,

I don't want to force people to use it, just to have always existing and updated
KDE_APPLICATIONS_xxxx variables around for people wanting to use them.

And I think it makes sense to use them for a lot apps, given not many apps have any
real version number updates it seems ;=) (it makes bug reports much nicer, if you can actually
track the bug to some released version)

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com