KDE Applications Versioning

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 10:47:45 BST 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 11:35 AM, David Jarvie <djarvie at kde.org> wrote:

> There has been debate about this for frameworks, and there is an argument
> there (not agreed by everybody) for making all frameworks have the same
> version, since framework libraries are dependencies for other software.
>
> The same arguments don't apply to applications, which in general are not
> dependencies. Other than convenience for maintainers who forget to update
> version numbers, I can see no good reason for forcing applications to have
> a uniform version number. I prefer using the version number to reflect the
> development status of the application (by use of major, minor and patch
> version numbers), as in the past. This makes it easier when dealing with
> bug reports, to know the state of the program at the version in question.
> For maintainers who want to use some other scheme, that's also fine. The
> important thing is to leave the choice.

Personally I prefer having the application versions matching the release
version
(ie. 15.04.x) so that there is no additional versions mapping required ("is
version 3.4
part of KDE Applications 15.04 or 15.08 or..?").

So I for one would also welcome such feature, but can absolutely relate to
David's
position too; the versioning should not be forced on Applications. So this
could be
easily made opt-in by using some predefined CMake variable and projects
having
such var would get the version raised by the scripts.

+1 to that idea.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer