KDE Applications Versioning

Andreas Cord-Landwehr cordlandwehr at kde.org
Tue Jul 14 06:08:57 BST 2015

On Monday 13 July 2015 23:14:17 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> I did a few tweaks, i still feel it seems this is "the official way" other
> than an "optional way" of defining the version but maybe that's just me.

Hi, I have the same feeling as Albert that the current text is not clear
enough that both variants (increase version by hand and using the scripted
approach) are fine.

What about adding an introduction paragraph like the following:

--------- <snip> -------------
Every application has an application version number that regular has to be
increased to distinguish different versions of the application (e.g.,
features, bugfixes). When an application does not have its own release
schedule but is released alongside with KDE Applications, there is also the
version number of the KDE Applications release. It is the maintainer's duty to
take care on increasing the version number regularly and there are
specifically two possible ways:

1. increase the version number by hand for each new release
2. use the same version number as KDE Applications and let the release script
update the version number

In the following, we explain how to use the scripted version numbers.

If it is OK this way, I can add it later today to the wiki page.

Cheers,
Andreas