Placement of config files for Plasma 5 and KF5-based applications

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Wed Jan 28 19:10:01 GMT 2015

On Wednesday 28 January 2015 18:07:14 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 28. Januar 2015 08:43:41 CET, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > c) I simply don't care whether users have a "problem" with ~/.config
> > containing many files, it's a directory for applications, not for the user
>
> I don't think this is much about "scaring the user" but how we behave wrt
> and align to xdg habits. To mie it seems the directories (most of them) in
> $HOME/.config specify the company name and there's indeed even a "kde.org"
> directory (contains marble, phonon and kcmshell stuff - no idea whether
> that's dated)

I agree with Thomas: This is not so much about your average user searching for
config files as it is about being a good Linux (and I suppose POSIX in
general) citizen and not being the only one who doesn't adhere to the rules
(even if they're unwritten)

To me, it's also about giving a good impression to distributions and
sysadmins. We want to appear professional, not chaotic, don't we?

> plasma-workspace related applications could redirect that to some
> ~/.config/plasma/ dir and if google starts using KF5, they'd naturally want
> to redirect that to ~/.config/Google - but I would argue that stuff that
> writes via KConfigGroup is (w/o further specification) "related enough" in
> managing it's config through KDE technology to write into some
> "~/.config/kde" dir.

I'll not interfere with the details because you guys know way more about that
than I do, but we should put our files in _some_ directory below ~/.config