Placement of config files for Plasma 5 and KF5-based applications

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 17:07:14 GMT 2015

On Mittwoch, 28. Januar 2015 08:43:41 CET, Martin Gräßlin wrote:

> c) I simply don't care whether users have a "problem" with ~/.config
> containing many files, it's a directory for applications, not for the user

I don't think this is much about "scaring the user" but how we behave wrt
and align to xdg habits. To mie it seems the directories (most of them) in
$HOME/.config specify the company name and there's indeed even a "kde.org"
directory (contains marble, phonon and kcmshell stuff - no idea whether
that's dated)

plasma-workspace related applications could redirect that to some
~/.config/plasma/ dir and if google starts using KF5, they'd naturally want
to redirect that to ~/.config/Google - but I would argue that stuff that
writes via KConfigGroup is (w/o further specification) "related enough" in
managing it's config through KDE technology to write into some
"~/.config/kde" dir.

Cheers,
Thomas