Sysadmin report on the modernization of our infrastructure

Jan Kundrát jkt at kde.org
Tue Jan 27 09:21:21 GMT 2015

On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 09:51:46 CEST, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Jenkins provides rich tracking of tests, code coverage and code
> quality (eg: cppcheck) in addition to checking if it builds.
> Zuul is designed to determine if it builds and if tests fail -
> providing a binary pass/fail response.

This is not true. Please read Zuul's documentation at [1] (or the
modernization proposal I'll be sending later today) for a short overview.

> I'll also note that Jenkins provides scheduling and can bring nodes up
> and down as needed (when equipped with access to a cloud/cluster).
> For this reason Openstack is still relying on Jenkins in part as Zuul
> can't do this.

This is not true.

- OpenStack uses Nodepool for node management (VM teardown & bringing up
new nodes, and image building), not Jenkins.
- The reason why OpenStack uses Jenkins *with* Zuul rather than just Zuul +
Turbo-Hipster is purely due to inertia and less work required due to their
history.
- OpenStack's use of Jenkins is limited to acting as a conduit for
launching jobs.
- Zuul knows how many resources are online at any time, so Nodepool can be
(and is) used with it just fine.

> Jenkins also permits us to track jobs unrelated to our code reviews,

So does Zuul; the OpenStack project is building release tarballs and have
nightly QA processes on stable branches, all with Zuul.

> Please recall that no change of bug tracker or CI system is being
> planned at this time - such a change would be for future discussion.

Fair enough, but then the argument of a "fully integrated solution" should
not be advertised as Phabricator's advantage, IMHO.

Cheers,
Jan

[1] http://ci.openstack.org/zuul/

--