Sysadmin report on the modernization of our infrastructure

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Jan 23 21:16:35 GMT 2015

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 4:05 AM, Thomas Lübking
<thomas.luebking at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Freitag, 23. Januar 2015 03:34:11 CET, Ben Cooksley wrote:
>
>> For that particular post - we would need to install Arcanist on all of
>> the build nodes behind build.kde.org.
>> The libphutil part you see there goes on the Phabricator instance
>> itself - and is used to inform Jenkins that it needs to perform a
>> build.
>>
>> The script in question is included in that post, and is also available
>> at https://gist.github.com/dctrwatson/4669113/raw/phabricator-post.py
>> We would need to install the appropriate Phabricator Python API though.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Harbormaster is eventually intended to be a full blown CI solution -
>> like Jenkins.
>> At the moment it is only capable of doing some very basic operations,
>> hence the Alpha label.
>

> Would that boil down to "For the moment, we patch CI onto Phabricator with a
> custom script based on arcanist event listeners and ad some point later, it
> (Jenkins) will be replaced by Harbormaster, the CI supposed to be integrated
> into Phabricator"?

Assuming Harbormaster meets our needs and we decide to migrate to it,
then that is approximately correct yes.
We would probably follow the method in
http://www.guywarner.com/2014/05/integrating-jenkins-and-phabricator.html
though as it is cleaner implementation wise - and also provides better
integration for the CI system (Jenkins) into Phabricator.

> Cheers,
> Thomas

Thanks,
Ben