Feature matrix for future infrastructure

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Jan 23 12:59:41 GMT 2015

Hm... That matrix needs a heck of a lot of work before it's worth its
while. It basically perpetuates the illusion that phabricator and gerrit
are the same thing, which isn't correct.

Gerrit is basically a reviewboard with a git integration, phabricator is a
whole integrated development platform.

And, apart from detail-by-detail comparisons, gerrit would be an
exceedingly bad choice for a community like KDE, with its enormous
diversity of skill levels. Gerrit is uninviting and complicated.

There is no way an artist who has a nice patch for Krita is ever going to
be able to inducted into becoming a Krita developer if they have to follow
instructions like this:

https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Gerrit

Honestly, this discussion is really misguided. I'm sure there are people
who like gerrit as a tool, probably influenced by the fact that gerrit is
used by the Qt project, and we have a history of doing what the Qt project
does.

But it's not the answer to the question "what should our future
infrastructure be", because it's only a replacement for reviewboard.

(And reviewboard, at least, can be explained to newcomers, gerrit can't).