Sysadmin report on the modernization of our infrastructure

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Jan 21 19:41:18 GMT 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 4:28 AM, Thomas Lübking
<thomas.luebking at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some open questions:
>
> - Do we have access to Qt's (ie. KDE's major upstream) decision process
> (reasoning) towards gerrit?

Our prior requests to be informed when new Qt repositories are setup
were ignored, despite being made on more the one occasion.
This means that our mirror becomes unusable until sysadmin is informed
by someone (or our CI system) that Qt 5 can't be built.

We therefore did not attempt to contact them.

> - The major concern about gerrit seems about scratch repos and I think I
> found a quite old bug/request on this which might cross "trivial" approaches
> w/ scripts? [1]
>  Otoh, it seems Phabricator doesn't support scratch repos right now either.

Phabricator requires only a minor modification to support them.

> - The lack of non-repo driven (web interface) patch supplies in gerrit does
> not seem to have been addressed in the document, but there've been many
> calls for such. So what's the state on this?

Sorry, not sure I understand this.
Phabricator certainly does support uploading patches through the web interface.

> - Phabricator is suggested to have integration w/ a bugtracker
>  -> Can gerrit be easily integrated w/ bugzilla (or other trackers), notably
> by cross-referencing the review (once! ;-) for the "BUG" keyword? (link and
> tag that this bug is being worked on - tag must be removed in case the patch
> is abandoned) - and of course closing as well.

You'll need to ask one of the people more familiar with Gerrit about
that i'm afraid.
Note that Phabricator's integration between it's components is deep -
so notes are posted on the task regarding the review, and a note is
posted on the review regarding the task and one can see the status of
both (open, closed, etc) from those notes.

> Cheers,
> Thomas

Thanks,
Ben