Sysadmin report on the modernization of our infrastructure

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Jan 21 17:08:51 GMT 2015

Hello,

On Wednesday 21 January 2015 17:12:07 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> As promised in the earlier thread, i'd like to present the sysadmin
> report on the state of the infrastructure surrounding our code.
>
> It contains a detailed summary of what is broken with our existing
> systems, why change is necessary and an evaluation of the options we
> considered. We have also made a proposal based on our evaluations and
> the wishlist of functionality drawn up the community.
>
> Please find it attached - and let us know what you think. Feedback is
> welcome.

At last some movement in that space that's really nice. I think I've been
annoying the sysadmin team with our current tools for a while now, so I can
only propose Zanshin as one of the test projects.

I especially appreciate the global approach you took, indeed we have to go the
forge approach not focus on code hosting + review only. It looks like
Phabricator is a nice move in that direction to have something really
consolidated and not plenty of disjoint tools.

BTW, since we didn't open a kanboard for Zanshin yet, we're totally up to test
the task tracking of Phabricator. In fact the more tools we get enabled for
our test the better so that we can cover wide on the features.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net