Plasma 5.2 bits for kdereview

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 06:39:58 GMT 2015

Hi guys,

This discussion is about technology unfamiliar to me, so please excuse
me if I top-post and speak off topic.

All I want to say is please be aware of other platforms in your discussions.
I refer to Windows, Apple OS X and Linux/Unix desktops other than Plasma.

Those desktops may not be a good fit for background processes that are
needed to support KDE apps on any given desktop.  Some KF5 modules may
not be appropriate on other desktops, may clash with modules on other
desktops or may add to the facilities there.  And some things are definitely
not specific to Plasma.  Some examples:

   - Several of the modules based on kded already have their equivalents
      on other desktops (e.g. power management).  Others, such as
      kbuildsycoca are needed to run KDE apps.  It is hard to know
      exactly which modules belong in each category on Apple OS X.
   - I don't think Windows has anything like Baloo or KWallet, but Apple
      OS X certainly has, and has had for years.  We, on the KDE-Mac list,
      are starting to integrate KWallet and Apple's Keychain app, but Baloo
      is still an unknown quantity, esp. re how hard-wired it is into KDE apps.
   - Dr Konqi is required by every KDE app on every platform, but its source
      code has currently (temporarily I am told) been placed in a Plasma5
      repository.

Thanks in advance for listening,
Cheers, Ian W.