Changes to our Git infrastructure

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jan 6 16:19:20 GMT 2015

On Monday 05 January 2015 22:59:51 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2015, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Monday, January 5, 2015 22.26:24 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> >> In short, what I meant is that as a tool to dicuss code changes,
> >> Reviewboard is a poor thing. It facilitates nit-picking, which is
> >> off-putting and useless, but at least gives the reviewer the feeling he's
> >> done his job, while it fails at making it easy to discuss the why,
> >> wherefore and how of a particular change.
> >
> > That is a development culture issue than no tool can fix.
>
> Not fix, but a tool can encourage one way or another.

Unfortunately, as long as the tool permits line-by-line commenting, you're
going to get nitpicking. My experience is that people are linear and will
start reading the patch, calling out what they see when they see it.

They should instead look at the big picture first and that isn't easy.

See http://sarah.thesharps.us/2014/09/01/the-gentle-art-of-patch-review/

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358