Changes to our Git infrastructure

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jan 5 21:22:19 GMT 2015

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> I think this is due to the fact that it's quite simple
> git clone kde:repo

This requires:

* setting up gitconfig with the kde: alias. That requires finding the
right info on techbase, as well as the awareness that techbase exists.
* figuring out the reponame for a particular project (and that isn't as
easy as just downloading the entire trunk of kde's svn repo -- even if I
never did that myself)

> do coding
> git commit

* using the commit template
* with the relevant keywords
* having a grasp of what a git commit is, especially that a commit isn't
visbile to anyone else

> git push

But not before you have

* realized that you need to push, i.e. what local and remote is
* figured out what branches are for, and how different projects handle
those
* got your kde indenity
* posted it on the right reviewboard
* to the right reviewers

Of course it's doable, but even with cats just getting source and building
it poses hurdles that need articles like
http://www.davidrevoy.com/article193/building-krita-on-linux-for-cats to
help people jump them.

I am a very fortunate and happy person: there is hardly a week when I
don't have to guide someone through the process. Usually, half-way through
they ask me, why doesn't KDE use github (or, less often) phabricator. Then
I point them at the manifesto, and we usually spend another half hour
discussing that -- most often with good results! Our story about not using
github is not hard, but our contribution process often is.