Changes to our Git infrastructure

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Jan 5 20:51:34 GMT 2015

On Monday, January 05, 2015 16:15:09 Ian Wadham wrote:
> I wonder also how many people have just tiptoed quietly away from the KDE
> Community rather than speak out about frustrations they may have been
> feeling.  Where *did* all those people go in the last few years?  And why?

I didn't really walk away, but the move from svn to git has made contributing
to KDE for me harder/less fun. Just "svn up" in trunk/ was really nice.
Now we have hundreds of repositories, and as far as I know there is still no
using-git-for-KDE-development-for-dummies documentation (maybe because there
is no common workflow for all of these many repositories).

Having said that, the mail flood I get from Qt gerrit also isn't fun. After
every comment a new review is requested... I don't have that time.

Having a system where every repository (project) automatically has its own
wiki and bug tracker is something I would really like to have. I think this is
especially useful with the frameworks effort. I'd really like to see a
"homepage" for each of the frameworks, and such a wiki page would be a natural
place to put it.

Alex