Changes to our Git infrastructure

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 17:47:35 GMT 2015

On Montag, 5. Januar 2015 18:06:57 CEST, Jeff Mitchell wrote:

> I really, really don't understand this concern. We're not in
> the days of 500MB hard drives and nobody is asking anyone to
> install constantly-running daemons with open ports. I don't
> shiver with fear when I apt-get install a package and it wants
> to pull in a bunch of (non-daemon) libraries.

I don't think this reaction would be due to HDD load (though the load comes with the side packages for php ;-) or rational research of the implications.

Attraction is the matter of a split second - if you see "requires php" and think "php is a webserver software known for many security issues i've heard of" (leaving aside that bad code causes this security issue, not the interpreter) you're may be at the "ahhh... then rather not" point.

If you complain about it "why do I need f*** php just to submit patches" you're (hopefully) open to a rational discussion to mitigate your concern.
If you remain silent, you're lost for contribution.

Stuff that relies on present and known libraries/executables has a lower barrier. I've no gtk3 installation atm. and when I need to pick among different tools, the one that doesn't require gtk3 wins.
That may be irrational, but still happens.

> Whatever you need to do your job, man.
Erheemmm.... i doubt "need to do your job" holds for potential new contributors in any aspect :-P

Cheers,
Thomas