Changes to our Git infrastructure

Jan Kundrát jkt at kde.org
Mon Jan 5 09:05:53 GMT 2015

On Monday, 5 January 2015 06:05:33 CEST, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Ease of installation and it's the availability of the necessary
> interpreters within mainstream distributions should be more than
> sufficient criteria here. Limiting it by any other criteria is playing
> pure favouritism to a given set of language(s) and unnecessarily
> limits our options.

Ben, you and Jeff appear to disagree with my point that e.g. requiring a
PHP tool to be installed client-side on each developers' and contributors'
machine might be a little bit discouraging. It is OK to say that you
disagree, but it doesn't prove the point to be any less valid. It's fine to
have people assign varying importance to different evaluation criteria, so
please do not use your sysadmin hat to unilaterally remove this "pure
favoritism" just because you do not see any value in it.

My impression was that we're gathering a list of possible requirements and
*then* we, as a community, are going to assign some importance factor to
each and every item raised. It is therefore acceptable to have mutually
exclusive criteria at this point, or even bits which some of us might find
to be totally irrelevant. They are going to be sorted out be community's
consensus, I suppose.

With kind regards,
Jan

--