Build dependency issues with kdesrc-build

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Fri Feb 6 03:16:54 GMT 2015

On Tue, February 3, 2015 00:54:25 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dissabte, 31 de gener de 2015, a les 19:20:06, Mathieu Tarral va
escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed an issue with the plasmate component, which is build
> > when you include kf5-workspace-build-include.
> >
> > It has a build dependency on KDevPlatform, but this component is only
> > selected in kf5-applications-build-include.
> >
> > So should we move plasmate into Applications ?
>
> I have no idea how kdesrc-build but i'd hope/guess/expect it maps the
> virtual hierarchy of the repos, so probably plasmate should go to something
> extragear- ish that can depend on kdevlplatform just fine?
>
> But as said i know not much of kdesrc-build so i could be talking crap :D

kdesrc-build will reorder modules into the right build order (assuming the
needed metadata in kde-build-metadata is present).

However as of now it only reorders modules you pull into the build list, so
you still need to specify dependencies somehow. E.g. if you only asked to
build plasmate, kdesrc-build wouldn't pull kdevplatform for you, but if you
asked to build both kdesrc-build would do it in the right order.

Please note that the kf5-*-build-include files with kdesrc-build are not
authoritative information about what depends on what, they are very coarse
groupings intended to help with high-level organization. You don't even need
to use kf5-*-build-include, you can make your own kdesrc-buildrc that does the
same thing; you can consider them as maintained sample files.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne