Policy regarding QtWebKit and QtScript

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Thu Dec 24 11:14:06 GMT 2015

On Tuesday 22 December 2015 16:07:06 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> > The idea that users may have remainders of QtWebKit 5.5 on their disk (or
> > not and thus unresolvable linkage) and install Qt 5.6 and still have (not
> > recompiled) client code that is now gonna crash scares me a bit - it
> > doesn't really improve reputation. Distros will virtually *have* to
> > provide
> > downstream webkit solutions to cover 3rd party installs and we'll get
> > "somthing broke" reports on this all over the place.
>
> What we distro packagers are going to do is to recompile QtWebkit for as
> long  ans possible/necessary.

If I recall correctly, the FreeBSD guys say that QtWebEngine (is that what the
new thing is called) is an absolute terror to get building in FreeBSD. There
are apparently source-compatibility issues and it takes a great big stonkin'
machine to compile it at all.

But .. I haven't tried it myself. I probably should so I can replace the
'apparently's above with 'defiitely'.

[ade]