Why is C90 enforced in KDE?

Boudhayan Gupta bgupta at kde.org
Thu Dec 10 07:17:03 GMT 2015

On 10 December 2015 at 12:04, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> I'm right now using msvc 2015 myself -- which gives other problems with
> other
> dependencies.

Microsoft now has clang (running on the Microsoft Code Generator as
well as LLVM) - maybe we could look into using that on Windows? It's
supposed to be an (optional, IIRC) part of VS2015 and will be
continually supported and updated.

So if we can kick out cl.exe support, that's one less compiler
frontend to support. Note that clang with Microsoft CodeGen is
theoretically pretty much the same as cl.exe (in both cases the AST is
converted to machine code by MSCG only), except that with clang we get
superior parser and C++11/14 and C90 support.

-- Boudhayan