Why is C90 enforced in KDE?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Dec 10 06:34:04 GMT 2015

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015, Thomas Lübking wrote:

> On Montag, 7. Dezember 2015 17:22:47 CEST, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>
>> There are two sides, of course: if making it easier for a distribution
>> to package KDE software makes it harder for an application to be packaged
>> for another distribution, where do we go? What's most important? Just
>> adding a dependency because all linux distributions have it so it's no
>> sweat can cause huge problems.
>
> Back on topic: do you actually have trouble with invoking flex/yacc* to
> generate code or do you have a problem with the generated (C99) code (what
> seems to be a pretty new problem - and is on Linux/any distro because KF5
> does --std=c90)?
>
> Or was this just a general "Hey, there's a world beyond Linux" remark?

It was a more general remark to Kevin: he might have it easy because he can
add just a line to a spec file and be happy, but in the big, bad world, every
dependency is a burden.

> You also may have some (personal, at least) data on relevant MSVC 2013 is in
> practice?
> Because every gcc in the wild as well as clang should be able to handle C99 -
> and so should MSVC 2015 and the intel compiler(s of the past). Afaics, MSVC
> 2013 is the deal breaker here; but no warranty on that statement...

I'm right now using msvc 2015 myself -- which gives other problems with other
dependencies.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org