Change to Mail Infrastructure - SPF and DKIM verification will now be enforced

Jan Kundrát jkt at kde.org
Tue Dec 8 15:37:07 GMT 2015

On Tuesday, 8 December 2015 16:09:43 CET, Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> It is irrelevant what our personal preference about doing
> modifications to messages is (like the tag in the subject). The
> fact of life is that there *are* mail providers out there (like
> Yahoo) which are already enforcing DMARC and may reject messages
> with such DKIM-breaking modifications, and these mail providers
> won't change their config to accommodate us.

Nicely said. Yes, there are providers such as Yahoo, AOL, and nobody else
:) who decided to break a long-working infrastructure. The question is
whether we want to join this club.

Should we start enforcing the same rules that Yahoo is enforcing? (Ben
didn't say what SPF and DKIM rules he's planning to publish for @kde.org,
btw.) Do we have many Yahoo/AOL users among our developers?

Should we start publishing rules which effectively instruct others to
discard all e-mails from @kde.org once they go through a non-DMARC mailing
list?

Should we discard e-mails which are intended for our developers because
they went through a non-DMARC mailing list?

My answer to these two questions is "no" and "no", obviously. I don't know
how else to say this -- Debian is not exactly a small open source project,
and their sysadmins apparently haven't cared about DKIM so far. It's a
technology which requires Everybody Else™ to perform extra work and to
configure new services on the servers which host various mailing lists. Are
we seriously trying to push an unspecified number of third-party ML
providers to deploy DKIM because Ben decided that it's worth the effort?
Seriously, the Internet just doesn't work this way. Even if Debian's
ifnrastructure is changed, there is still a number of mailing lists which
have worked well in the past years, and now they will stop working for
@kde.org accounts.

Cheers,
Jan

--