Why is C90 enforced in KDE?

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 20:36:13 GMT 2015

On Montag, 7. Dezember 2015 17:22:47 CEST, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> There are two sides, of course: if making it easier for a distribution
> to package KDE software makes it harder for an application to be packaged
> for another distribution, where do we go? What's most important? Just
> adding a dependency because all linux distributions have it so it's no
> sweat can cause huge problems.

Back on topic: do you actually have trouble with invoking flex/yacc* to generate code or do you have a problem with the generated (C99) code (what seems to be a pretty new problem - and is on Linux/any distro because KF5 does --std=c90)?

Or was this just a general "Hey, there's a world beyond Linux" remark?

You also may have some (personal, at least) data on relevant MSVC 2013 is in practice?
Because every gcc in the wild as well as clang should be able to handle C99 - and so should MSVC 2015 and the intel compiler(s of the past). Afaics, MSVC 2013 is the deal breaker here; but no warranty on that statement...

Cheers,
Thomas

* other than "install it" - Windows doesn't come with a compiler by default either.