Generated files in version control (was: Re: Why is C90 enforced in KDE?)

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 08:56:23 GMT 2015

On Montag, 7. Dezember 2015 01:08:31 CEST, Nicolás Alvarez wrote:

> It will look better to stick my app logo into the real-artist-designed
> piece-of-paper-with-shadow than to draw an icon from scratch...

Afaiu, one should have asked the oxygen team to avoid this kind of patched icons.

> I don't think that's the case. Surely the
> preferred way to modify an icon is to edit the SVG and rasterize it
> again.

Again: that's processing. The required file was the png (since svg icons were initially not even supported and even now the Qt svg renderer is completely not up to inkscape features extending vanilla svg)

> If you used gimp, you should put your multilayer .xcf

**mööööt** - it's not simply "multilayer", that's just an intermediate result. The (hypothetical) icon was forged using several destructive processes to get the pixels colorful in the desired way - which are not documented anywhere.
It could even haven been done in the very same layer or layer merging was one of the required process steps.
A rastered image really completely rests in itself - no matter what tools were used to forge it. A vector editor is just a process detail; the same result could have been achieved in MS paint (with a lot of time ;-)

Cheers,
Thomas