Distros and QtWebEngine

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 21:52:31 BST 2015

On Montag, 20. April 2015 22:16:34 CEST, Luigi Toscano wrote:

> That said, let's talk for a moment on real use cases: how many applications
> can need an *hard* dependency on the beast, apart from mail apps?

Everybody. Nobody. Depends.

The API doesn't look quite exchangeable w/ QWebKit, so one would require a (ONE) compile and/or runtime shim, what raises the questions
a) is that worth it, given (assuming) that QWebKit will at some point become unmaintained (and the insecure)
b) wtf is gonna happen when, let's say, QWebKit is gonna be dropped in Qt6?
   I know nothing about the trouble w/ QWebEngine¹, but what is insinuated here is that it's completely unusable, unmaintainable, undistributable - ie. Qt then simply won't have any full blown web engine, resp. has one that nobody uses?
   That issue would seem -a tiny bit- faaaar beyond kdepim or anything KDE related, to me those claims read: "Qt now has no longer a web kit/engine".

Cheers,
Thomas

[1] Google more Evil than Apple? WebKit blob trustworthy, but Blink blob isn't? Arch just rolled that on my disk, am I now tracked or what?!?