Using Gerrit for code review in KDE

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Sep 13 19:40:27 BST 2014

On Saturday, 2014-09-13, 17:49:31, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Saturday 13 September 2014 16:51:15 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El Divendres, 12 de setembre de 2014, a les 22:52:40, Marco Martin va
> >
> > escriure:
> > >
> > > can make it happen.
> > >
> > > No, definitely not yet

> > > works or that the ACLs are set up properly -- both were done already.
> > >
> > > As part of the experiment i would also like to try to have stricter acls
> > > for +2 and submit, like starting from mantainers then slowly adding
> > > people
> > > (that's also how i understood it would have worked during the bof)
> >
> > I'd read that as being against the KDE Manifesto.
>
> my understanding was that it's still possible to bypass the code review, so
> I cannot see that it's against the KDE Manifesto as it's only a kind of
> social contract. Or am I missing something.

That would be my interpretation as well.

Also, I think our current albeit unwritten social rules or hacker ethics kind
of do something similar already.
I.e. if something gets committed that a maintainer does not approve of and
reverts, then it stays reverted.

The choice to make the maintainer's role more explicit throught the tooling is
just making the decision more active than reactive.

As for submit, that IMHO should at least also be available to the review
request owner.

Does anyone see advantages of having submit restricted at all once the
necessary approval has been achieved?

Cheers,
Kevn
KDE user support, developer mentoring